Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Two Cowgirls Preschool - Letter K k

This week was a blur.  As much as I wish our homeschool day was easy and slow, it is not.  In fact, we didn't finish everything we set out to do.  We did, however, have time for preschool!  Here's what we did this week:

I Love My Family

Some families are big (spread arms wide)
Some families are small (bring arms close together)
But I love my family (cross arms over chest)
Best of all!

Our focus during circle time this week was "Family".  We talked about the structure of different families.  We read some great books; Nana Upstairs & Nana Downstairs by Tomie de Paola and The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant.  


Day 1:  

We worked on our "letter K" worksheet (not nearly as interesting as the "letter I" worksheet, evidently) and read Beatrice's Goat by Page Miller.  The big event for the day was making butter!  It was pretty amazing, and tasted great!

How to Make Butter:
Put about an inch of heavy whipping cream in a jar with a waterproof lid.  Sprinkle in a dash of salt.  Then, start shakin'!  You can also put it in a mixer.  Keep mixing/shaking until the cream passes the "whipped cream" phase, all the way until you get a hard blob of butter in the middle of your jar/bowl surrounded by buttermilk.  


Day 2:

We started out the day reading The Song of the Kingcup Fairy by Cicely Mary Barker, writing Elise's name, and reading Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens.  Our big activity for the day was to bake bread to go with the homemade butter.  The recipe for herb bread suggested by Wee Folk Art sounded really (REALLY!) good, but I don't have a bread maker, so I used my old reliable recipe for sandwich bread.  Yum!  

I'm starting to adjust to our new schedule (a bit more than last week, anyways).  Next week I'm hoping to add a fun preschool outing into the mix!  

Of course, I want to give credit to the blogs/website that inspire me on my preschool journey:
Jan Brett Printables (they're so pretty!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment