Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Great Grandma Angela's Spaghetti Sauce


For Christmas, my sister Kim passed this recipe along to me!  I'm so glad to have it!  I can just imagine my Great Grandma Angela standing in her kitchen on the levee...

Great Grandma Angela's Spaghetti Sauce

1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 tsp sweet basil
3 dashes of pepper
2 bay leaves
3-4 dashes garlic salt
28 oz peeled tomatoes
1# Italian sausage
1# meatballs
1#bracciola
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
14.5 oz can pear shaped tomatoes

Brown all the meat in a 4 qt sauce pan.  Chop the tomatoes, you want them coarsely chopped.  Add them to the browned meat.  Add one can of water to each can of tomato paste.  Add herbs and stir.  Simmer at least one half hour, stirring often.  Freezes well.

**Here are some changes I made:  I used .75# bracciola,  .5# bulk meatball meat, and 1# Italian sausage.  It was still really meaty.  Next time I'm going to add a 28 oz can pureed tomatoes, and increase the spices accordingly.  The sauce is a little meaty for my palate***

This sauce is so good!  It made enough for our family of 4 to make a pan of baked ziti for dinner, put a pan of baked ziti in the freezer for the future, two freezer bags full of sauce (3 cups each), and another smaller freezer bag (2 cups).









Just for fun, here are the kids on our walk to Cosetta's (the Italian market where we bought our supplies)


No comments:

Post a Comment