Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blueberry Week


I was given 5 pounds of blueberries by my mom, and I had so much fun using them up over the past week!

I tried my hand at canning for the very first time.  I was nervous, but ended up with 9 perfect little jars of jam.  I followed the directions on the Reduced Sugar Sure Jell packet, and it worked out great.


This blueberry lemon bread is from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  I changed two things about the recipe 1)  I  used 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 c of honey, instead of a full cup of sugar and 2) I skipped the lemon syrup portion of the recipe (because I ran out of sugar).  It's so good!


Here is my tried and true blueberry muffin recipe.  I'm not sure where it originated from (probably from a Pillsbury or Betty Crocker cook book).  I've been making this every Christmas morning for years and years.



Streusal Topped Blueberry Muffins

Streusal topping:
1/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T firm butter

Muffins:
3/4 c milk
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 egg
2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c fresh, canned, or frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups (or use baking cups).  In medium bowl, mix 1/2 c flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until crumbly.  Set aside.  In large bowl, beat milk, oil, & egg with fork or wire whisk.  Stir in 2 c flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt until moistened.  Fold in blueberries.  Divide into muffin cups, top with streusal.  Bake 20-25 mn until golden brown.  Remove from pan immediately.

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment