Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Friday, March 27, 2015

Owl Pellets, Share the Fun, and Syrup Making

"You know you're a homeschool mom when you have rodent
bones in a baggie in your purse."





Is it really Friday?  This week flew by!  It was cold and snowy again, so I'm glad the week went by quickly.

Here's what we did this week:





Monday:

The girls had farm school at Gale Woods Farm again.  It was fabulous as usual.  They love that class so much!  Since it was so cold and snowy, I went to Starbucks to do homework.  I got so much accomplished!  Before Gale Woods, I met up with a friend for breakfast, which was super fun.  I honesty felt like I ate all day, though.  Breakfast with a friend, lunch in the car, a treat at Starbucks...  I'm ready for warm weather so I can go on walks!

Tuesday:

Millie had piano lessons in the morning.  The girls wanted to forego playgroup today, because the neighbor kids were all on spring break, and they wanted to hang around the neighborhood.  Understandable, since we'll be leaving in a week or less!

Wednesday:

Today we were back in our normal school routine.  The girls did all their school work in the morning.  In the afternoon, they had a class at Dodge Nature Center, where they learned all about bones.  They even got to dissect owl pellets!  For the second part of class, they got to explore several stations in a barn.  The most popular station was definitely the "knuckle bones" game station.  Good times.





Thursday:

This was the first day all week that we didn't have to leave the house (until evening).  It was so nice!  The girls did their school work in the morning, and spent the afternoon playing with the neighbor kids.  I had the entire afternoon to do school work and clean the house.  In the evening, the girls had their first Share the Fun play practice.  It's always fun for them to see their friends.  I am so happy that we happened upon this particular 4-H group.  The kids are all really great.

Friday:


Academics?  We don't need no stinkin' academics!  (I don't really mean that, but that seems to be our philosophy right now.  We're still doing better than last year, so I'm OK with it).  Today we thew caution to the wind, picked up cousin Patrick, and went to the farm.  We needed to boil the sap that Grandpa Howard collected from his maple trees.  It took so long, we weren't able to stay for the whole process.  It was so nice to sit by the hot fire!!  The kids spent a lot of time playing "veterinarian" with Grandpas vet medicine books and Millie's stethoscope.  They had a couple (willing?) victims playing along :)












Well, I have next year *almost* entirely planned out.  I have earth science and ancient history detailed out in two future blog posts.  It has all the links I'll need to refer back to throughout the year.  I just need to make my supply list so I know I'll have all the supplies on hand (you know, so the experiments and projects ACTUALLY get done).

The big thing I have to work on is a homeschool group.  I need something similar to what we were part of when Millie first started homeschooling in 2nd grade.  It's the part of our homeschool journey that we're missing right now.  I know, I know, how could we possibly add anything into our week?!  I'm not too worried.  Next year will be different.  I'm known for making everything work out, so I imagine I'll do the same thing next year ;)

Have a great week!  Find out what other homeschoolers are up to, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment