Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mid-Year Check-In

We completed the first half of our year!  So far, so good.  In fact, I'm loving it so much that I'm already starting to plan Millies 3rd grade curriculum.  Now, I promised myself that if Millie didn't like homeschooling and wanted to go back to school, I'd be OK with it.  That's still the case, but (lucky for me) she seems to be thriving and enjoying.  A LOT.  Today we had our mid-year check-in to review where we're at, and to see if there are any changes we can make.  Here's what I found out:

Questions for Millie:

Is school fun?

"YES!" (along with enthusiastic head nodding)

What is your favorite subject?

Science (because we do lots of experiments and cool stuff) and History (because we get to go back in time)

What is your favorite outing?

Going to the pool because she loves water and it's good exercise.

What would you like to do more of?

More swimming and art

What would you like to do less of?

Math  (Ooooooooh, not gonna happen.  She really seems to enjoy math.  This answer surprised me)


Questions for me:

Are we making progress?

Yes!  The most obvious progress is her printing.  She started out the year not being able to write her letters on lined paper.  It was very sloppy.  She still needs work on it, but she's come a long way.

Is the curriculum working?

Everything seems to be working except spelling.  Her spelling needs a lot of work.  I'm not really sure how to improve that other than making her correct her spelling mistakes and having her work on weekly spelling lists.  Suggestions would be appreciated!

What is most important to her education this year?

Improving her reading out loud skills and printing.

How can I slow down and focus on each child?

I spend a lot of time with Millie and focusing on her needs.  Poor Elise seems to get left by the wayside a lot more than I'd like to admit.  The steps I'd like to take to fix this problem are 1) read a story every day before her nap time, 2) go to story time at the library every other Tuesday, and 3) let Elise pick out what we're going to do for recess once or twice per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment