Welcome to TwoCowgirls, the blog about our crazy life in Downtown Saint Paul!

Friday, November 20, 2015

Girls Shopping Day, Girls Club, and Feed My Starving Children

I'm going to go a bit out of order this week, and start with Wonderful Wednesday.  We started learning about Buddha, as part of our ancient history studies.  We've been focusing on Egypt, Greece, and now we've made our way over to India.  I invite you to check out my post called


If you scroll down to "The Enlightened One," you'll find an attachment to the video and worksheet used to learn about the caste system, and details about what we did for our lesson.  Of course, the video is totally kid appropriate.  While searching YouTube for a video, I came across a LOT of videos about the caste system as it is alive and well in India today.  I encourage you to search it up, it's very interesting!  We're reading Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha.  It's interesting to see similarities between that story, and many of the stories we're familiar with, such as the story of Jesus's birth and Cinderella.

Okey dokey, let's get on with our week!  Here's what else we did:

Monday:

Today the girls had piano bright and early at 8 AM.  I really need to change that time.  It's so hard to get up that early!  I'm a night owl, and Sunday is my only night to stay up late having fun, but I'm punished for it in the morning because of our early piano start time.  After piano, Millie had co-op, and Elise had Jr. First Lego League.  I just love both of those things!  After we got home in the afternoon, I took a nap.  Zzzzz.

Tuesday:

No school today!  I had my annual mother/daughter Christmas shopping day!  We didn't take a selfie together, but I swear it happened :)  My mom, sister, and I hit up Target, Toys R Us, Barnes and Noble, Bakers Square, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby.  I got a LOT of shopping done!  I managed to stay on budget, which is amazing.  When it was all over, I wasn't ready to go home, so I kidnapped Bud from work, and we went out the the Mall of America to do a little more shopping, and to have a nice child-less date together.  It was sooo great!  We went to a few stores, and then ended the evening with dinner at Tucci Bennuch.  I had potato and rosemary flatbread.  It was amazing.  Isn't my husband handsome??  I think I know where my children get their silliness from...

Wednesday:

Wonderful Wednesday.  **Please see above**  He he.  I should also mention that my kids are sick of astronomy (I think I mentioned that last week).  I told them we'd be done as soon as they could memorize the planets in order, starting with the first planet from the sun.  Done and done, thanks to this video:


Thursday:

Today was my day to go to school in the afternoon.  I'm counting down the days until I'm done with this semester.  I bit off more than I can chew.  I won't be taking any classes next semester, and will use my evenings to exercise and read.  I'm so excited!!!  As always, Millie watched Elise.  They did some Harmony Ed worksheets, worked on memorizing the planets, had quiet reading time, and then had freedom to play on electronics when all their work was done.  Oh, it was also my birthday.  My kids made me really sweet cards.  Aside from that, it was the most lame birthday every.  I didn't even get cake.  Waaaaa!  It's OK, I'm over it. I swear. 

Friday:

Girls Club!  Field Trip Friday!  What a full day!  We started out the day by dropping Millie off at Girls Club.  Today they made thanksgiving crafts.  They're so cute!!  You'll have to take my word for it ;)  While she was there, Elise and I hung out, had some Starbucks (no, we're not boycotting because of their red cups), put together a puzzle, she read In The Meadow to me, and we played War.  After that, we ran home so I could change my shirt because I spilled on it (typical!!).  Then, we rushed out to Feed My Starving Children to help pack up meals for people in need.  Oh man, that was SUCH an amazing experience.  Not only did we help prepare a lot of meals for kids (over 50 kids for an entire year!! Amazing!), but it was so fun to watch my little Elise take on a job and do such a good job with it.  I sometimes forget what a big girls she is, because she comes in such a tiny package.  She did an amazing job.  So did Millie.  We'll definitely go back.  








Housekeeping: In full disclosure, I feel that I should say that my kids do other work, as well.  ;)  I don't always mention the school work they do, but they're always busy doing math, reading, spelling, etc.  You know, the 3 R's...  We get to that stuff *almost* every day.  One of the things I'm really proud of, is the notebooking Elise has been doing this year.  Her binder is full of really great copy work, observations, and scrapbook pages.  Millie is doing a notebooking journal too, but for some reason hers doesn't have as much stuff in it as Elise's.  I guess that's something to work on.  :)  See Millie practicing the piano?  I couldn't get a good picture, because as soon as she saw the flash go off, she turned to make a silly face.  Man, I love that kid!!!  The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree!

Find out what other homeschoolers were up to this week, here.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't started shopping yet, other than a few things I have picked up here and there. Hard to believe Christmas is 34 days away!

    ReplyDelete